Once you have reached out to the Peer and have met, either in-person or remotely, you are ready to begin your Peer Support Discussion. This is your chance to introduce yourself, make the Peer feel comfortable, and reiterate the confidentiality of your discussion. Following are some touchpoints to include in your introduction:
- Introduce yourself and your role as a clinician.
- Briefly describe the what and why of Peer Support.
- Affirm Peer’s choice to request support.
- Reiterate that this conversation is confidential, and will not be part of any Quality review.
- Open up the discussion; ask the Peer to talk about anything that is on his/her mind.